How to fix Windows Failed to Validate Product Key: Windows is one of the most widely used operating systems for ages. This Microsoft-backed operating system provides a great user experience and an awesome customer support. Also, unlike Mac, it fits into the budget of many and unlike Unix based systems, it provides an exceptional Graphical User Interface. This gives Microsoft an edge over Mac and Linux based systems. Windows often come up with new versions and the latest version as of now in Windows 10. Few previous versions were Windows 8, 8.1, Windows 7 and so on.
Thought Windows operating system often provides a very smooth experience, there are certain areas where it needs to improve. Windows users face a lot of issues while installing the updates. There are also a few other issues and in this article, we are here to talk of one such issue. This is Windows Failed to Validate Product Key issue. When you try to upgrade your Windows one version to the other, you may get an error message that says:
Windows setup has failed to validate the Product Key
This issue is really annoying because you find yourself stuck in case of Windows Failed to validate Product key. If you are also facing the same issue, then you have landed in safe hands. We are here to help you fix the error: Windows Failed to validate Product Key. All we need from you is attention. Now let us get started.
WINDOWS FAILED TO VALIDATE PRODUCT KEY: HOW TO FIX
- Go to My Computer / This PC, then right-click the Windows install DVD and select open.
- The contents of the Windows DVD will be displayed on the screen. Press CTRL + A on the keyboard to select all files and folders, then press CTRL + C to copy these objects into your clipboard.
- Next, go to My Computer / This PC, then double click on the C drive to view its files and folders using Windows Explorer. Right-click an empty area of the Windows Explorer window, then select New -> Folder and name the folder as “Temp“. This will create a C:\Temp folder.
- Double click the C:\Temp folder and then press CTRL + V on the keyboard. This will copy the entire contents of the Windows DVD into C:\Temp.
- Open Notepad (click Start, then type in “Notepad”, then click Notepad when it appears).Paste the following into Notepad:[EditionID]
[VL] 0Note: if you are upgrading to another edition of Windows, refer to my notes below.
- In Notepad, click “File -> Save As…“, then navigate to the C:\Temp\Sources folder, and name the file “EI.CFG“.
- Retry the Windows setup. It should work.
This was an easy yet efficient method to fix the error message: Windows Failed to Validate Product Key. Hope you liked this article and were able to resolve this issue. However, if you are still stuck and need some assistance, feel free to reach out to us via comments or Contact Us page. We will try to resolve your query at the earliest.