How to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070652: Windows, as we all know, is one of the most widely used operating systems used all across the world by millions of folks like us. This Microsoft backed operating system is available for both desktops as well as mobiles. However, the mobile version of Windows operating system is not as popular as the one available for desktops. The kind of graphical user interface and customer support it provides is what makes it so user-friendly and customer-centric. Linux based operating systems and MAC are the only two big competitors of Windows operating system. However, Linux based operating systems are not considered much user-friendly and MAC is on the expensive side. So usually prefer more Windows operating systems.
Microsoft constantly rolls out updates for Windows operating systems. The latest version of Windows at the time of writing this article is Windows 10. Previous versions include Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Though some people are still using Windows XP and Vista, this number is considerably low now.
Windows provide a decent performance to its users. Mostly the users are satisfied. However, at the same time, we must also accept the fact that errors are inevitable. No matter how good a software is, it can never be 100% error proof and Windows is no different. Earlier we had talked about a number of Windows-specific glitches including Windows Update Error 0x80244022, Windows Application Error 0xc0000142, Remote Procedure call failed error and so on. So, dealing with Windows-specific issue is not something that is completely new for us. We have dealt with countless such errors in past.
WHAT IS WINDOWS UPDATE ERROR 0x80070652
In this article, we will be dealing with one such Windows error, that is, Windows Update Error 0x80070652. This error is usually caused when you try to install system updates. It can occur in Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7 too. When you try to install system updates, you may encounter an error saying:
Couldn’t update to Windows 10.
Sorry, we couldn’t complete the update to Windows 10. We’ve restored the previous version of Windows to this PC.
A significant number of users have reported facing this issue. So, we thought of providing a step by step guide to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070652. Now let us not waste any time further and jump directly to the methods we have given below to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070652.
Before we go to the actual methods to get rid of Windows Update Error 0x80070652, we would recommend you to reboot your system and wait for some time. Then try running Windows Updates after some time and check if you are able to download the updates. If you are still getting this issue, then follow the methods we have given below to get rid of this issue once and for all.
HOW TO FIX WINDOWS UPDATE ERROR 0x80070652
In this section, we have given various methods to get rid of this issue. We recommend you to start from method 1 because it is considered to fix the majority of the issues.
1) USE SFC (SYSTEM FILE CHECKER) TO REPAIR FILES
SFC (System File Checker) is a command provided by Microsoft for repairing system files of Windows operating system. This command comes with a number of available options but we will be using the scannow option only. It will basically scan your entire system for system files and dll files and will replace them if it finds any of them suspicious.
We have a step by step guide on how to use the sfc scannow command to get rid of Windows Update Error 0x80070652. So just follow this guide given below to fix this issue.
Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070652 using System File Checker
Follow the instructions given in this guide and then you will be good to go. However, if you are still facing the issue or you do not want to implement this specific method, you can move on to our next method to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070652.
2) CLEAN REBOOT YOUR PC
Clean rebooting of PC can easily fix Application Error 0x80070652: The Application was unable to start correctly. Simply follow the steps given below to clean reboot your machine:
- Go to Control Panel and choose System and Security link.
- Now select Administrative Tools.
- Double click on System Configuration option.
- Now choose Services tab.
- Checkmark Hide all Microsoft services option.
- Now press Disable all button on the left. Click Apply and OK button.
- Now Restart the system by clicking on the Restart button.
If this method is not able to resolve this issue, you can try out the method to fix this error.
3) RUN TROUBLESHOOTER
Microsoft also provides a free and built-in troubleshooter along with the Windows operating system. Just follow the steps given below to troubleshoot the system to find any issues and fix them.
- Find the specific Windows Troubleshooter on Microsoft’s support page by clicking here. You will find the troubleshooter for Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Choose one as per the operating system you have.
- Once it is downloaded, run the wu.diagcab file. Now follow the wizard step by step.
- Now the troubleshooter will take some time to scan the entire system and report the errors, if any, at the end.
4) DOWNLOAD UPDATES MANUALLY
If none of the methods mentioned above was able to resolve the Windows Update Error 0x80070652, then try downloading the updates manually. This method is going to most likely resolve this issue. Follow the steps given below to download the updates manually.
- Click on Start button and choose Settings option. This will open Windows Settings.
- Now select Update & Security Windows Update, recovery, backup on Windows settings.
- Click on Update History > Failed to Install to get some more information and note down the name of the failed update.
- Now go to Microsoft Update Catalog by clicking here and search for the update you noted down in the previous step.
- Download and install this update.
- Do this for each of the failed updates and then check if the error still persists.
So these were the few methods to get rid of Windows Update Error 0x80070652. Hope you liked this article on How to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070652. In case of any issues or concerns regarding the methods we have given, feel free to reach out to us via comments. We are always happy to help. Cheers.