Dropbox is the one of the most popular cloud storage and probably the one that’s been here the longest. Plus, it offers so many features and productivity tools that you can’t even count on your fingers. And you don’t even have to count, that’s what we are here for, we have hand-picked some of the amazing things you can do with Dropbox and probably don’t know about it.
So without any further ado, let’s take a look at 10 cool tips and tricks to get the most out of Dropbox.
Send Large Files via WhatsApp
Whatsapp is the best all-around instant messaging app with the heart-brooking limitation of sending files only up to 16 MB. Even so, Dropbox can help you to overcome this. Yes, you can send large files (even of different file formats) via WhatsApp. Here’s how you can pull off this trick.
- Dropbox app, upload a file which you want to share
- Tap and select Export. Look for “WhatsApp” and tap on it and you’re all done.
Download Torrents Automatically
Don’t you think it would be amazing if you initiate a torrent download on your home computer from anywhere? Yes, it is possible and Dropbox is the one that makes it possible. Here’s is how to pull off this trick.
- Install Dropbox and any Torrent client you want on your home computer.
- Open your Torrent client and go to Option >> Preferences.
- Click on Directories from the left panel. Now enable Automatically load .torrents from: and specify the path to your Dropbox local folder.
4. From now on, all you need to do is just download the .torrent file on your phone or any device and upload it on your Dropbox account. This will trigger your Torrent client installed in your home computer to start downloading the files automatically.
Requests Anyone To Upload Files To Your Dropbox Account
Dropbox has an option called “File Request“, this amazing feature gives anyone you ask the ability to upload files to your Dropbox account, into a folder of your choosing. And the cool thing is that this feature even allows those without an account to share files with Dropbox users.
Here’s is how to request anyone to upload files to your Dropbox account:
- Simply go to your Dropbox account and click on File Requests in the sidebar.
- From the File Request page. Click on that big blue plus icon to open a pop-up box where you have to specify what file or files you’re looking for.
- For every file request that you create, you’re provided a unique link you can share with the people you want to receive files from or you can select the option to have Dropbox send a request email on your behalf.
Note: Only you can see the files that are uploaded unless you decide to share them.
Automatically Save Photos You Are Tagged In On Facebook
Have you ever heard of this IFTTT? If not then you are really missing something amazing. It stands for “If This Then That,” and is an easy way to automate tasks. Users can make simple scripts called “recipes” where some type of event in one device or service automatically triggers an action in another.
Sign up for this service and you can specify the triggers—Save photos you’re tagged in on Facebook to a Dropbox folder.
Invite And Grow Your Space
Invite your friends to join Dropbox, and for each one who Sign-up Dropbox give you both 500 MB of bonus space. Just go to www.dropbox.com/referrals and provide your friend’s email address. You can also share your personal referral link on social media sites. Dropbox also gives you 125MB extra just for connecting your accounts to the service.
Don’t you think this is an amazing idea Dropbox come up with to increase their users? You are the one who is giving more users to Dropbox.
Note: You can only get up to 16 GB of free Dropbox space through referring.
Dropbox To Google Drive
There are times when one may need to transfer, sync or backup some files from one cloud service to another. Google Drive obviously makes the most sense if you’re using Gmail or Google Apps. And the thing is you don’t need to follow the traditional way of downloading files from one service first and then re-uploading it again to another. With Dropbox, you can easily transfer files directly from Dropbox to Google Drive. Here’s how you can pull off this:
- Dropbox, navigate to the folder or file which you want to transfer
- Tap and select Export. Look for “Save to Drive” and tap on it and you’re all done.
Recover deleted files
Don’t worry if you accidentally deleted your important files from Dropbox, you haven’t lost them yet. Dropbox keeps deleted files for 30 days after you’ve erased them. Open your Dropbox account and click on “Show deleted files” button to see them. Right-click and select “Restore” to bring them back.
Access Your Files Offline
In the Dropbox app version, there’s a way for you to access your files offline. To do that, follow these steps.
- Open Dropbox app and navigate to your files in your Dropbox account folder.
- Tap and choose Available offline.
- You’re all done. The files will be downloaded on your device automatically.
Publish Your Own Website On Dropbox
Pancako.io is the another amazing web application to get more out of Dropbox. Want to create your own personal website on Dropbox? Then Pancako is what you are looking for. You can easily create simple HTML sites using Pancako and sync with your Dropbox account. Pancake reads files from your Dropbox folder, and makes them available from the web.
Sign up for this service from here.
Backup Your WordPress Website Into Dropbox
Regularly backing up your WordPress site may save you from more than one inevitable occurrences like update problems, intrusion, attacks and hacks. But if you do this manually, it can take time and can be tedious work. So automatically backing up your site seems to be a good idea and automatic scheduled backups seem to be a better idea.
The good news is that various WordPress plugins already exist to take automatic scheduled backups of your WordPress site.
That’s all. If you enjoyed this article, Follow us and Subscribe to our newsletter and get daily updates to your Inbox.
Let us know in the comments which ones you like, and if we missed any good ones!